Sunday, August 25, 2013

What is God about?

As a young Christ follower I  believed everything I heard. I never took the things I heard and tested them against scripture to see if they lined up...One of the most common phrases I heard was, "God is all about us".  Naturally I liked the sound of that...it had a good ring to it. I loved the idea that God was all about me, and that he obviously created me awesome so that I could boast of my awesomeness.  So as my new found life continued...a couple years and hundreds of Christian inspiration books later, I decided it might be a good idea to pick up my bible.  The idea of "God is all about me" now translated into how I read my bible. I would insert myself into almost every scenario I could put myself in. I found tons of scripture to support the idea of how "God is for me", but the interesting thing is somehow I felt so prideful.  I was so proud that God loved me...the more I inserted myself into scripture the more prideful I was becoming. The more I opened my bible the more the Holy Spirit began to reveal the truth to me. He revealed to me the bible is not about me, and for far too long I had been reading it that way. Yes, God is for me! Yes, God loves me! But there was a clear motive for why HE DOES. What I began to realize is that God is for God ultimately, and that His motive behind all of His love for me is for HIS NAMES SAKE. God created me for His glory!

Psalms 23  
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake."

John 7:18
"The one who speaks on his own authority seeks his own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and in him there is no falsehood."

Matthew 5:16
"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."

 Isaiah
God created us for His glory
God called Israel for His glory.
God rescued Israel for His glory.
God defeated Pharaoh, for his glory.
God spared Israel in the wilderness, for his glory.

Romans 25-27
"whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Then what becomes of our boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? By a law of works? No, but by the law of faith."

 Rev 21:23-27
And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, and its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life. 


Again and again God reveals that all things are for His GLORY...including why He loves us so much.

 John Piper says it better than I ever could, "God’s God-centered Love Is the Greatest Love for Us
Why does God remind us over and over that he makes much of us in a way that is designed ultimately to make much of him?
The answer is this: Loving us this way is a greater love. God’s love for us, that makes much of us for his glory, is a greater love than if he ended by making us our greatest treasure, rather than himself. Making himself our end is a greater love than making us his end. The reason this is greater love is that self, no matter how glorified by God (Romans 8:30), will never satisfy a heart that is made for God.
God loves his people infinitely. He sent his Son to die that he might have us, and that we might have him (1 Peter 3:18). He will not let us settle for wonderful and happy thoughts of self. Not even a saved, glorified self. He will not let our glory, which he himself creates and delights in, replace his glory as our supreme treasure. That would not be love.
We are loved by God. We are precious to God, and the greatest gift he has for us is to not let our preciousness become our god. God will be our God. God alone, forever. And this is infinite love.
When we experience this love deeply—when we are compelled by this love in everything—God is greatly glorified."


TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment